Last week we had a surprise snowstorm. I know. What the hell is a surprise snowstorm?! It is one of those storms that the forecasters predict will be small and unsubstantial but then turns into snowy messy disaster. We got at least a half foot of snow. As someone who used to live in Boston, I recognize that this is not a lot of snow. For some reason New Jersey didn’t get its act together and the roads were horrible. I actually worked from home! Since I was working from home I wanted to make something easy and hearty for dinner. I love using my Crockpot on days like that. You just dump everything in and leave it. It is so easy! This is one of our favorite recipes. Once I finished with work I decided I wanted to pair the chicken with some cornbread. The recipe is super easy and it is actually pretty light! A great snowy day meal.
Shredded Mexican Chicken
Boneless Chicken Breast
1-1/2 cups Trader Joe’s Chunky Salsa
Juice of 2 limes
½ cup vegetable broth
1 cup Trader Joe’s Frozen Roasted Corn
½ onion, diced
2 tablespoons Trader Joe’s Taco Seasoning
- Place all of the above ingredients into the Crockpot
- Set the Crockpot to low and leave cooking for 6 hours.
- 30 minutes before the timer goes off, take all of the chicken out of the Crockpot and shred with two forks on a cutting board.
- Once shredded, place the chicken back into the Crockpot and allow to simmer in the sauces for the remaining time.
- Serve in a whole wheat tortilla or you can eat it alone. I like to serve this with some cornbread to soak up all of the sauce (recipe below).
Non Dairy Cornbread
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup flour
2 tablespoons white sugar
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup Silk almond milk
4 tablespoons Fleischmann’s Unsalted margarine, melted
2 tablespoons Fleischmann’s Unsalted margarine, hot and melt-y (to pour on top of the cornbread once baked and ready to serve)
- Combine all of the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl combine all of the wet ingredients.
- Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix well to combine.
- Pour into a baking pan. Spread the batter to make sure it is evenly distributed.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 19-21 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.