Penne a la Sautéed Sausage
Husband and I have been on a protein kick as of late. We have been trying to steer clear of pasta and carbs (so incredibly difficult for a donut lover like myself) but because we are moving we have been attempting to use what we already have in our pantry and freezer (a la Chopped). Sausage and pasta seemed like the perfect combination and it was! This has become one of our new favorite meals! It is super easy and fast if you are short on time! Try it and let me know what you think.
Penne pasta, boiled and drained
Jack’s Gourmet Sweet Italian Sausage (Kosher), sliced on an angle (any sausage will do, this happens to be my favorite kind)
1 cup of crushed tomatoes
1/2 onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
Fresh ground pepper
1. Cook penne pasta and drain.
2. Heat a skillet with olive oil. Sauté sausage until crispy on the edges. Remove the sausage from the pan and let drain on a paper towel covered plate.
3. Add a little more olive oil to the same skillet and sauté the onion and garlic until the onion is see through.
4. Add the sausage back into the skillet and allow the flavors to marry together.
5. Add the pasta to the skillet.
6. Add the crushed tomatoes to the skillet and then add the spices.
7. Mix all together and serve while hot!