This weekend has been a cold one in Beantown – winter has arrived (unfortunately). Husband and I wanted to eat something warm and tasty for dinner so we decided to go for something easy and quick. We are both suckers for a good pasta dish! Who doesn’t love fettuccine alfredo?! We ate the leftovers for lunch the next day and it kept well!
Adapted from Flour On My Face
Whole Wheat Fettuccine Noodles, 1 box whole, cooked until al dente
Margarine or Butter, 2 tablespoons
Flour, 2 tablespoons
Sea Salt, 1 teaspoon
Fresh Ground Pepper, 1 teaspoon
Garlic Powder, 1 teaspoon (optional)
Milk, 1 cup (we used non-fat/skim milk but I am sure it would be even better with whole milk)
Parmesan Cheese or Romano Cheese, 1/2 cup grated
1. Add butter or margarine, garlic powder (optional), salt and pepper to a medium sauce pan.
2. Once the butter or margarine has melted add the flour and whisk until smooth, removing all lumps from the flour.
3. Slowly pour the milk in and whisk until smooth. Turn the heat up a bit to medium/high.
4. Add the Parmesan cheese and whisk until combined.
5. Continue whisking until the sauce has thickened, for about 5 to 7 minutes. The sauce will thicken even further as it cools.
6. Pour the alfredo sauce over the cooked pasta and mix until the pasta is evenly coated. Top with a little grated Parmesan cheese.