Spice Rubbed Seared Brisket in the Crockpot – Getting Ready to Cook for 8 hours! IT FALLS APART!
2 tablespoons EVOO
1 1/2 – 2 pounds beef brisket
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon minced onion
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 cup beef or chicken stock (you could probably substitute vegetable stock as well but I had chicken stock on hand)
1 heaping tablespoon tomato paste
1 large onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1. Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Meanwhile, combine the chili powder, garlic powder, minced onion and paprika in a small bowl.
2. Rub the spice mix into the beef, covering each side evenly. Once the oil is hot, place the beef in the skillet and sear on each side until browned (see picture above).
3. Remove the beef from the skillet and place in the bottom of the Crockpot. Leave the pan on the heat, and deglaze the pan with the beef or chicken stock, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Add the tomato paste and whisk into the pan sauce. Bring the sauce to a boil, reduce the heat, and let simmer for a few minutes until the sauce has reduced a bit.
4. Add the diced onion and minced garlic on top of the seared beef in the slow cooker. Pour the pan sauce down over the onions, garlic, and beef.
5. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
6. Remove the beef from the slow cooker and shred with two forks (if necessary – mine was so tender it just fell apart when I took it out of the slow cooker). Once shredded, put the meat back into the Crockpot to stew in the sauces and onions for 20 minutes.
7. Serve! You can serve in a flour tortilla or eat with a bunch of tasty side dishes.